Saturday, 29 February 2020

My take on Carnival Row

So my friend suggested i watch Carnival Row, so far i have watched one episode and i like just haven't gotten around to watching more yet.  But what i love is the imagery, created a whole Victorian Steampunk era with fairies and other magical beings!!! How fantastic is that.  So here is my take
Fairy wings, bowler hat, piping, and gears just a few of my favorite things.  (who just sang the song in their head)



So i painted the wings on watercolor paper with oxide distress ink, then drew in the wing details with black gel pen.  I found creating these type of illustrations very relaxing, i want to do some large scale ones next.  I would like to do a watercolor illustration using the posters of Alphonse Mucha.  If you don't know his work its worth looking up.

Lantern is chipboard, with painted watercolor paper behind to look like it is light up.


Some piping, i paint a base color of gold then layer turquoise, rust, and brown on top for that rusted patina look.  I didn't like this when i first painted, but when i see how the pipes look in photos I LOVE. Funny how that works.




Some rub ons for the background, love me some rub ons.  For the border first i painted black then embossed with Lindy's Tannenbaum Green Gold- the color and shimmer is easier to see with a black base.


Spiral wire, i love wire it's a weird fasanation.  This was a bitch to get the spiral tied on without breaking chipboard.

Whenever i create something i always have a favorite spot- and this is my favorite spot.  I think because you can really see the background i created here, and i love backgrounds. 
WOW i used the word LOVe alot, it was a bit much.

Happy Leap Day!









Thursday, 20 February 2020

Create Dizcover

This month over at Lindy's Stamp Gang the color challenge is
















I created this 10"x10" canvas.
The background is watercolor paper colored with Lindy's Moonlit Mulberry and  Cape Cod Coral.
Distress the edge and ink with vintage photo and ground espresso distress ink.  Then glue watercolor paper onto brown painted canvas.  Dry.




I don't know why but i forgot to take a picture of the completed background.  I drew on a floral branch and leaves, then painted with watercolor paints.  This was very relaxing, turned on some Elementary and painted away great way to spend an evening, should have had a glass of wine with it.  Once I finished painting I applied crackle paste and allow to dry overnight.

Used some empherma in my stash, distress edges and ink.  Then embossed some chipboard pieces using Lindy's embossing enamel Terra Cotta Plum, Midnight Copper, and Golden Angel Wings.
Used some old rub ons on the background, i love creating backgrounds.


 Here is a good shot of the background, I spend most of my time creating a background then cover it it seems to be my process.


Gears and winders are made with Finnabair mould, painted with brown and green paste and once dried spray with Lindy's Van Dyke Sepia.  Adds a little shimmer.









Layer in some tags, used Tim Holtz ribbon sprayed with Lindy's Van Dyke Sepia to color.  I saturated several strands of ribbon differently so there would be color variation in ribbon, finally rip and tear up ribbon.


Lastly add some inspriation chit chat and call it done.
Enjoy!

Monday, 17 February 2020

Say Yes to New Adventures

Hey all, so i usually create classes or kits but today i just created.  I have missed just creating! No worrying if i have enough for one class, if there are too many steps etc...  So I saw the Stamperia sea world mould with an octopus and scruba helmet and thought i can do that.  So here we are

I used my chipboard helmet from octopus piece then drew legs onto watercolor paper.  I painted legs with watercolor paint and distress oxide ink, drew in details with black pen.  Love how these turned out.


The key to watercolor i have discovered is you need to be patience thin wash of color, dry, thin wash of color until you get the depth you want and shading.
I used ground espresso, wild honey,and  pumice stone disatress oxide ink and orange watercolor paint.


Painted the helmet with bronze and gold acrylic paint, antiqued with brown acrylic paint then added some rust with red oxide paint.  I glued black cardstock behind the helmet then filled the center with glossy accents so it looks like glass.



Made plumbing with pipes chipboard, painted gold, antiqued with brown acrylic paint then added patina with red oxide and Jade impasto paint.  Also love the legs.


The background was created with Lindys' tainted teal, maidenhair fern green on watercolor paper.  I inked the edges then added water spots, rub ons. I think the fish is one of my favorite things- i cut out from some old paper inked edges and covered with glossy accents.


Embossed the border frames with Lindys midnight teal.  Painted black chipboard pieces (just some random pieces in my stash) gold acrylic paint and left some plain.  I used pop dots and chipboard for depth.

I have taken the week off to create hopefully it is a fruitful week.
g