New day, New challenge, today i have create a 12x12 layout for August Challenge at The Studio Challenges (blog)
, and Sketchabilities challenge #120
. This picture is of my niece Tyler who loves to pose for photos and she is all about the sparkle and shine.
I started with creating a background using colored modeling paste (colored with distress paint) and a honeycomb stencil. Once the modeling paste had dried i added shadows with vintage photo distress ink and a water pen.
I distressed the edges of a tag and inked the whole tag with vintage photo distress ink, then i added a background pattern with perfect pearl mist and harlequin stencil. The background is subtle but pretty. Of course when i made the tag i didn't realize most of it would be covered up, but that's the way things happen once a page starts to take on a life of its own.
I assembled the page using the elements- dollie, polaroid frame, tag and ticket, washi tape, metal embellishments, and chicken wire chipboard painted black with distress paint.
I clustered flowers, buttons, chipboard gears, and metal accents in top corner and along bottom of photos. I glued really good and allowed to dry over night. I didn't worry about what color anything was since i knew i was planning on painting.
I painted flowers and chipboard, metal accents with white gesso and allowed to dry. i mixed antique white distress paint with perfect pearl powder (biscotti) and painted over gesso. At first i thought i would leave it the off white but i wanted more contrast so...
I painted flowers, buttons, and metal accents with varies metallic paint several times until i got the blend of color i wanted. I also sprayed embellishments with Color bloom and perfect pearl mist. Layer and layers until i got what i wanted. Once everything was colored i re painted chipboard gears and chicken wire with black distress paint. It just needed a pop of black for contrast.
another close up.
isn't my niece beautiful.
Finally the finished 12"x12"
I wasn't sure about how it would turn out as i was working on it, but i am quite happy with the finished product. Man this layout is heavy with all the embellishments, metal and paint.
I have seen this technique on blog and such but this was my first attempt, i found i didn't have the patience to let things dry enough- something i need to work on for my next one.