Monday 31 July 2017

Challenge #39

My second project for Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #39
here is the mood board

Here is just one stamp from this month's sponsor IndigoBlu, I wasn't smart enough to take a picture of the other stamp before i threw out the packaging.  They have some really cool stuff including steampunk and eyes two of my favorite things.

Here is my creation, a old nancy drew book with a twist. This project came together really quick, I stamped with black archival ink onto water color paper then colored with my water soluble pastels.   I really love how i didn't cut out the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories words and I like how the book cover and the garden colors compliment each other.  Seriously the hardest part was cutting out the center of the book.

I started with my base, a garden house door.

Put the door image as the back then fuzzy cut butterflies and plants from water color paper color and ink edges.  The book pages works great to add dimension, just tuck your embellishment in between the pages and glue.

Using the book pages allows you to have all paper elements on different levels to create foreground and background with everything in between.  As you can see i did a rough fuzzy cut but it works.

Get on your thinking caps and join us at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #39

Wednesday 19 July 2017

Dreamcatcher Mixed Media

So my friends at Treasured Memories in Edmonton asked me to ask come up some projects using this month's mixed media kit- Dreamcatcher here are the products included you get $50 retail worth of product for $35

I started with a 12"x 12" canvas covered it with white gesso then added some texture with modeling paste and cell theory stencil.  Once dry I sprayed on a shitload of water then with a palette knife threw on paint splatters of Alchemy plum preserves and soft stain just in the center. Spray with more water, kind of smeared paint with fingertips then rotate canvas to move paint around, use a heat gun to dry.

Along outside edges I used color burst powder teal, sprinkle on then spray with water to activate.  Rotate canvas to move color around and dry with a heat gun.  Love the color variations.

Ink around canvas with ground espresso distress ink.  Next paint around cell texture with gold acrylic paint.  At this point I kind of wanted to stop and hang it on my wall, but not the name of the game.

So here is the final project.

I made a dream catcher with the embroidery hoop and wire.

I made the dollie into a flower, first I pulled up the center of dollie then tied with an elastic band to hold then cut off excess.  I colored the dollie flower with teal color burst and hung on my clothes line to dry. I made the center flower with metallic cardstock cut four flower shapes getting smaller, shape them then glue all together.  In the center add curled paper stripes and micro beads.

I added a cluster of feather, actual feathers, painted paper feathers, and clear acrylic with pattern feathers. Underneath hoop is a bundle of natural sisal.

Added some pebbles and done!

Friday 14 July 2017

Mixed Media- Altered Embellishment

Here it is my first project as a design team member at Mixed Media Monthly for challenge #38 Altered Embellishment
This month's sponsor is
"UmWowStudio is an innovative on trend chipboard, flair & stencil manufacturer located in Las Vegas, NV. Partnering with other companies & now amazing designers our line is always expanding. Our chipboard is extra thick with a beautiful rich kraft finish ready for any medium. Our stencils come in a convenient 4x6 size & our flair is flat backed for easy application to any art."
The owner is offering a $30 gift certificate + free shipping to their site as the prize

And my creation
An under the water scene

The best part the jellyfish created using chipboard, liquid applique and alchemy paint.

I started by covering the jellyfish body with liquid applique.  I was digging around in my tool caddy and found this little gem- an oldie but goodie. Allow to dry overnight for the best result.

First thing the next morning (my eyes were barely open) zap with a heat gun and sit back to watch the magic.  The heat makes it bubble/ foam and puff up.  Looks so cool exactly the effect I was looking for.

Next I painted the jellyfish with alchemy paint- rusty red, orange, and gold.  I painted him darker around the outside edges, its looks more realistic to blend colors then one solid color.

Create a background, Lindy's spray, white gel pen, and crop a dile.  I used the crop-a-dile to punch a large cluster of holes- like bubbles under the sea.  I used blues and green and highlighted color variations with a white gel pen.

Add cluster of chipboard, painted and embossed for more sparkle and a net of natural sisal.  Now you notice most of those holes i punched are covered... or are they

I built a shadow box frame and added lights now all those "bubbles" are visible and glowing.  Makes me think of The Little Mermaid loved that movie.

Here I used alchemy purple metallic paint my friend Wendy challenged me with purple paint- she knows I do not like purple.  I embossed with Lindy's angel wings- gives it that iridescent coloring.

Added some melange clear bubbles as a final touch.  
Now what to do with it my friend Jen said it would look good in a bathroom.

Happy Mid Month.

Whoo hoo follower count- 78  I just may make it to 100 by the end of year.

Wednesday 5 July 2017

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog

So exciting news I am now a design team member at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge  I am super excited this is my first design team and I just got my first sample product.  This month the challenge is
so head on over to the blog to see what the design team has come up with.  I will be revealing my first design team creative (ever) mid month.... stay tune

More exciting news...

this creation WON over at 7 dots studio blog check out the details