home

Thursday 17 July 2014

Compendium of Curiosities Challenge 6

This is the first challenge i have ever attempted, at first i found it a little difficult... but then poof it all came together.  I started with the light bulb i knew i wanted to use it for a floating balloon with a wire tail.

I wrapped wire around the bottom of bulb and curved the wire into tail. (below)
I used a paper butterfly from Tim Holtz's ephemera pack, cut it in half, sprayed with a Mister Huey and inked edges with gathered twigs distress ink.  I curved up the edges and glued halves underneath bulb sides.









i left the wire tail loose, i like the added dimension you get with the shadow the tail casts.  I used washi tape to make bows for the bottom of the tail.  It now kind of looks like a kite rather than a balloon, but same effect.













I used ray layering stencil and tinted modeling paste (tinted with aged mahogany) once dry i painted around with dylusion spray.  I highlighted the ray with mustard seed distress paint, i just rubbed it on with my fingers creates more of a distress finish- not a solid color.
I cut through the burlap panel (used my big knife) then finished the edges with washi tape.  Make sure the hole is the right size for the lantern to fit in. I have had this lantern for years and thought lets use it!
Added metal and paper elements to frame the lantern window.




















added box corners and a clock keys to the top
















and finally the finished project.
I really enjoyed this challenge, i usually work on a larger base, so this was good for me, made me work outside of my comfort zone.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe this is your first challenge...we are honored! Your burlap panel is beyond wonderful! Cutting a hole to fit the lantern?!! I'm blown away! Genius idea...and so inspiring! Love all the details of this, and there are so many! Way to go! Thanks so much for playing along on our burlap canvas challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so excited to have a comment!!!! thank you much and looking forward to more challenges.

      Delete
  2. What fun your panel is! Anita is so right, I hope you'll join in for more challenges!!

    ReplyDelete