Sunday, 17 January 2016

3-D Steampunk Eyewear

So here in Cold Lake it is -30c, so cold, freaking cold.  We had an indoor day staying in our PJs all day.  I had a very productive day, i took on SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge- anything steampunk.

So my son and I have been playing this app- The Room, it is a puzzle game and it has this eyepiece you use to see secret codes.  (if you love puzzle and finding clues you need to play this game)  Anyways the eyepiece intrigued, so there is the inspiration here is the final take.


I love how it turned out, loved it so much i made this a new chipboard kit on my etsy store, 3-D Steampunk Eyewear.








Here is from the side, the goggles have a lens added onto.  How FUN!









 I layered together the goggles, then added 1" high piece of empty toliet paper roll. (it was the exact size i needed)  Next layered gears on top of roll.
 I rolled 0.5" thick piece of cardstock in an 1" tube and glued a gear lens on top of it.  I painted it gold on inside and out.  I painted a section of vanilla cardstock with chipped sapphire distress paint and glued the lens tube onto it.  Allow to dry.  Once dry add glossy accents inside- a lot of glossy accents.  This will take awhile to dry.  It will look like a camera lens.











 I glued the lens tube onto the bottom lens tube on the goggles, added wood dowels along the outside of the bottom lens tube.  Painted the whole thing gold with acrylic paint.  Next i highlight with black paint then dust with mica powder.  I used teal, purple, and rust.  The black paint tones down the gold goggles and gives the mica something to adhere to.  Once i finished i sprayed the whole piece with water to set the mica.  If you want more gold to shine through just wipe off some mica and black paint with a baby wipe.  I just did small sections at a time otherwise the black paint will dry before i get the mica on.








The finished goggles.










 Now the tag, i watched a bunch of u tube videos on mixed media, art journal pages before i started my tag.  I wanted to see how Lindy's sprays would work on several difference media.  First i painted the tag with white acrylic paint, allowed to dry then sanded some off.  Next i added crackle paint onto the tag with a palette knife, nice and thick.  This i allowed to dry overnight so it was 100% dry and crackled.  Over that i added harlequin pattern with modeling paste.  Allow everything to dry.

 When dry i added some color with lindy's moon shadow mist, treasured island aqua.  I added some water as well to blend the edges and get some drips.  I held to tag up vertical to get the drips.  I loved how as the drip ran down the tag the spray seeps into the cracks.
Next i added some Lindy's magicals (i love these)  time travler teal, steel summer, and shabby turbine teal.  I just added some powder right onto the tag.  The magicals  react with water and you get a couple of tones.
 Sprayed with water.  I also loved how all the sprays settled into the medias differently.  The color will settle into the modeling paste, and cracks but not onto the crackle surface.  Color also saturated the sanded areas deeper than the painted areas.  Again i held up the tag vertically to get drip.  I just love how the color travels into the cracks.
 Here is a close up of the colors.
 I have discovered the key is to stop when you have got something you love, sometimes if you keep playing everything just gets muddled. I added some distress ink around edges.  Now even though it is dry if i was to spray with water or any liquid medium the magicals would still react and i didn't want that.
 So i used a palette knife to apply gel medium over top.  The magicals will react with the gel medium as well, so i worked fast.  This is a heavy coat of gel medium so it took all afternoon to dry.  I love how the final tag looked and felt- like plastic















Once the gel medium was dry i added some stamping with texture stamp and black acrhival ink.  Added some rub ons, rubbed white acrylic paint along tag edges and outlined harlequin pattern.
 Added more rub ons and journal strip.
I didn't added a lot and embellishments to the tag, the background turned out so beautiful i didn't want to hide it.  I also didn't want to take away from my eyewear.        

I am in LOVE with this tag!

2 comments:

  1. I already saw this earlier today and just didn't have the time to leave a comment then...but I had to come back and do it now!!! This is absolutely amazing! Your tag looks so cool and now I need this kit!!! lol

    Thank you so much for sharing your awesome steampunk art with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, I love your tag ! thank you for the tuto and your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges.

    ReplyDelete